Monday, July 9, 2012

Out of the Mouth of Babes


My son will be 8-years old on August 10, and I feel as if he’s the parent some of the time. The statements coming out of his mouth constantly amaze me. Yesterday, I was feeling overwhelmed and he said something that resonated with me. It wasn’t the first time he has done that and it certainly won’t be the last I wager. 

“Mom, no matter what, just remember that at the end of the day, you will be with us, your family. It’s never as bad as you think, you know.” Wow, literally out of the mouth of babes, but it sure did something for me. It got me thinking about business and life. 

Children by Free Digital Photos.net
Interestingly, that statement yesterday gave me the courage to turn down a project that I thought I needed to do. I was really struggling to come up with a decision…but I realized after that little talk, that it wasn’t the end of the world. So going forward, while it will be difficult sometimes, I need to remember, “It’s never as bad as I think.” In fact, I will be printing that statement and putting it above my computer for inspiration. 

So, I made a business decision after talking to my son – a child. Anyone who has to make a living from writing content or from offering freelance services, knows that some clients need to be fired. They also know that it is a good idea to follow their gut feeling and turn some jobs down.

I survived yesterday and I survived today, and you know what - He is right, it’s never as bad as it seems. So, do you ever get words of wisdom from unexpected sources?